January 27, 2009

Fighting the Good Fight



Bottom line – cancer sucks. It’s not something you wish on your worst enemy. Yet so often from this incredibly debilitating illness springs something so amazing and so opposite from the carcinogen’s purpose - life. I have been witness to this on more than one occasion both personally and thru other’s stories. My father fell victim to the illness after a long and hard battle with the disease in 1998. Through his many years with dealing with that in his life, I was lucky to see a side of him with which I may never have known. His strength was enduring. His passion for life was astounding and his love of family shone through like a ray of light from heaven itself.

Since his passing, I have seen and experienced others go through similar trials and tribulations with cancer and all too often the same thing tends to rise out of these people: Hope, Love, and Life. I often try to imagine myself in that position and think how I would handle it and although it’s easy to say I would be as strong as those who deal with it on a daily basis, I don’t know for sure if I would. Sure, I wouldn’t be out there winning the Tour de France every year afterwards, but I think there is as much admiration for those that get up each day, put a smile on their face, fight the fight, and live life to the fullest. I have recently become close to another of these amazing people. She is a wonderful mother, a great friend and an immense inspiration to all those around her. Luckily she is going to win her war, but it still comes with the hardships of the battles. The example she sets for her son and those around her are invaluable and I couldn’t be happier to know her. She is a rock and has a hard “Shell” and she will endure.

I can only say this to all those out there who fight those daily battles and are close to those that do: I pray for you, look up to you, and am thankful for your example. You are a true inspiration.

Hope, Faith, Love.

*** A good friend of my family, Tina Farinola Savino, is participating in the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer which is a 2-day, 40 mile walk to raise support for the people whose lives are affected by this illness. She is currently the top fund raiser in Houston. Please support her efforts by visiting her site and donating if you can.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome post, Graham. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Graham, you are a wonderful, kind, and sensitive man. God had blessed you with a special heart and soul. Thank you for my personal note and best wishes to your girlfriend for a speedy and as painless recovery as humanly possible...
    xoxoxo Tina

    ReplyDelete